This is October! (Just in case you hadn’t noticed!) And in honor of October being Breast Cancer Awareness month, we are doing a month-long theme where we post something pink each week. You know the Pink Ribbon Campaign and all. And above that nod, anything we put in our ETSY shop that is pink this month (like today’s Skapron!) we will contribute 1/2 the proceeds from the sale to Breast Cancer Research! So shop away!
This skirt remake started out like this:
Hello kitty photobomber!
Yes, I know. This was a very ‘old lady’ outfit gifted to us by the same dear old grandma lady who gave us the skirt for the skirt giveaway. I really didn’t see myself wearing this as is, haha, and I thought that there was more potential here than just popping the skirt onto the bottom of a denim mini. (Although that would have been cute!) This time I decided to take a skirt and turn it into…. Wait for it… (Drumroll)…. an apron!!! Except this apron will be a little different, more…skirtish…J You might even make a new word for this design, something like Skapron, or Aprot! Here are my steps.
1. Cut the skirt along the seams on both sides.
2. Cut out the lining and hem the edges.
3. Use some of the back material to make ties for the apron, or Skapron, or Aprot, or whatever!
4. To make the ties, fold a panel from the back in ½ right sides together, and sew. Turn the tube right side out and sew across the bottom.
5. Sew the ties to the apron at the top.
6. Sew vintage ribbon to pockets.
7. Attach the pockets, (from an old pair of my brother’s jeans!) to the front of the apron.
8. Sew on buttons (from the jacket) onto the pockets.
Hello Skapron! (Yes, I just made that word up!)
There now, what a cute apron! I was aiming for a very vintage look, which I think I achieved!
Total Time: 1 hour
Total Cost: $0
Talent Level: beginner seamstress
I felt kind of like a cook on one of those old cooking shows, so you have a picture of me holding a little pumpkin and looking like I’m saying; ‘Now halve the pumpkin…’
Here I leave you with a close-up of the adorable pocket.
We hope that we have inspired you to make or design your own Skapron. Or Aprot, for that matter! So now here are your jobs: Vote in the poll, visit our ETSY shop (yep, this Skapron is there!) & and leave us some comment love!
Always be Exciting,